| Read Time: 2 minutes | Estate Planning

When a person dies, and after his or her family members have dealt with their initial emotions, the real work begins, according to Kiplinger in the article “5 Things to Do the Moment a Loved One Passes Away.”

If you know you are named as executor of the will, take these steps to be sure that the named beneficiaries receive as much of the estate as possible.

Obtain Access to Home and Documents

It’s crucial to get access as soon as possible, to obtain tax returns and financial statements, as well as jewelry and family heirlooms. Gather all tax records, credit cards, bank statements, and expensive items of personal property. You may also want to change the door locks, if there are items of value still in the home.

Gain Protection by Freezing All Financial Accounts 

Unfortunately, obituaries provide sufficient information about deceased people to let burglars try to break into their home or to steal valuables. Death certificates are usually available, days after a person dies. Immediately contact the decedent’s credit card companies and banks and instruct them to freeze the accounts. This will stop any automatic payments of the decedent’s bills. Creditors must wait to get paid, until the estate is in probate and being administered to by the executor.

Have the decedent’s mail forwarded to you, by providing the post office with a letter signed by your administering attorney stating your authority and intentions.

If the property is owned by the decedent, make sure it’s insured because it still may contain valuables. The estate is liable for any damage to neighboring real estate caused by the residence, such as water leaks or fires that started in the home.

Inventory the property that you’ve removed and keep items of substantial value in a safe deposit box.

Obtain Taxes and Financial Statements

Between your search of the person’s home and the forwarded mail you should now be getting, you should be able to put together a good financial picture of the estate’s assets and liabilities.

Talk to Professionals

Engage an attorney and an accountant. You’ll need to initially work with the existing financial planner, since the decedent’s accounts are now frozen and can’t be transferred until you’re given court authorization. However, you can hire other financial consultants for the estate.

ReferenceKiplinger (April 17, 2018) “5 Things to Do the Moment a Loved One Passes Away”

Author Photo

Kyle Robbins

Kyle Robbins is the founder and sole owner of The Law
Offices of Kyle Robbins. He received his J.D. with honors from the University of Texas School of Law and his B.S. in Food Chemistry and Microbiology from Oklahoma State University.

Rate this Post

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars
1 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5